The advertisement should be concise and easily understood.
If possible, include the following information or a link to where this detailed information can be found, such as from websites or in an application pack:
- the post title and main details of the post including pay, location and type of contract (for example, is it permanent or fixed term)
- any required qualification?
- whether PVG scheme membership is required for the post
- what the next steps will include, such as an interview, written assessment, group exercise, assessment centre
- dates of interview, if known.
You should be clear about the nature of the work and how applicants should respond to the advertisement.
Consider including alternative formats, for example audio files, tape or Braille where needed.
Space permitting, the advertisement may include information about the qualities, skills and knowledge essential for the post and career development opportunities.
Advertising jobs well may help promote interest in the sector amongst people with the right skills and values but who might not have considered working in care.
Links to further guidance and practice examples
Skills for Care- Values based recruitment and retention guide- post advert document, values poster
Practice example 1 Advert - SW
Practice example 2 Advert – Assistant manager
Practice example 3 Advert – Early years educator
Practice example 4 Advert – Nursery worker
Practice example 5 Advert – Support workers
Practice example 6 Advert – Social care support worker
Practice example 7 Advert – Social care worker
Practice example 8 Advert – SW Child care protection
Give consideration to the best way to attract the kind of applicants you are looking for. For example, consider where you be advertising and whether the use of social media would be useful.
Include in your recruitment pack:
- an application form and explanatory notes about completing the form
- job description and person specification
- relevant information about the employer, the recruitment process; and policies such as equal opportunities, the recruitment of ex-offenders
- your child/vulnerable adult protection policy statement including an explicit statement about the organisation’s commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable people
- terms and conditions of the post.