The Scottish Out of School Care Network (SOSCN) has engaged West College Scotland to provide STEM training for practitioner staff in out of school care services. COURSE CONTENT
This course aims to equip you with the skills needed to introduce creative computing into your after school care setting using a variety of tools, including: Scratch, Makey Makey and the Raspberry Pi. Throughout the course you will learn how to create games in Scratch and make controllers using the Makey Makey and everyday objects such as play-doh or fruit. You’ll also get creative with Minecraft on the Raspberry Pi.
10 week course with very limited places left in the course starting in January 2019
Only open to OSC practitioners who can get to the West College Scotland Paisley Campus on Tuesday mornings and who commit to the full ten weeks.
This course requires evaluation feedback from staff and children.
Training Provider Overview
The Scottish Out of School Care Network is the national charity supporting the development of high quality out of school care in Scotland.
We currently (December 2018) offer:
- Free physical activity and wellbeing training across Scotland, we are currently providing training for trainers for CALA staff to help deliver this in the Highlands
- Free STEM training with only a few places left on the course starting January 2019 in partnership with West college Scotland at their Paisley Campus.
- Purchasable training across Scotland on:
- Resilience and adverse childhood experiences – introduction, including film screening, with a low charge to cover costs only.
- Mentoring training for quality improvement (usually member services undertaking Achieving Quality Scotland, our quality assurance resource for out of school care).
- Bespoke training tailored to out of school care service needs and requests.
For example: Business and financial planning for out of school care, management, supervision and appraisal, consulting children in out of school care, planning and using space for out of school care.
There is a training section on our website with instructions on how to book or request training.
Training Provider Contact Details
Provider Name: Scottish Out of School Care Network
Contact Name: Finlay Wright
We always ask for user evaluation including how they will use the new skills learned in their practice. For the STEM training we also ask children to evaluate the activities on offer and the difference it makes to their knowledge and skills.
Feedback on all of our training is consistently high.